Authoring: Creating a dropdown menu, radio button or checkbox interaction
Creating the interaction
When authoring a module, you can create a number of different interaction types. To create an interaction, make sure the 'Add' tab has been selected from the tools menu, at the top of your module page, then choose the interaction type you'd like to create from the 'Interaction' dropdown menu. The interaction will appear on the page, ready for you to change the question, add options and change the formatting.
Moving and resizing the interaction
To move your interaction and position it on screen, click and hold down your mouse in the centre of the interaction box, then drag the interaction and place it where you'd like it to sit on the page. To the top-left of the interaction, you will see the X and Y coordinates of the interaction and the size of the interaction box in pixels.
To resize your interaction, click and hold, then drag using your mouse on any of the small squares found at the edges of the box. These squares are found at the top, bottom, left and right of the box as well as at each of its four corners. You can see what size your interaction box is by the numbers beside the coordinates at the top-left of the box itself.
Changing the question, adding options and points
To change your interaction's question, options or points, double-click on the centre of the box to bring up its settings panel. When the settings are displayed, you can change several aspects of the interaction.
- The number of points a user can gain for this interaction. To change the number of points the interaction is worth, type a number into the appropriate space. Generally, users can gain one point for each correct answer of a multi-choice question, i.e. one point for a dropdown or radio button interaction but potentially more points for a checkbox interaction, where more than one answer can be correct.
- The display style of the interaction. From the 'Display style' dropdown menu in the interaction's settings panel, you have several options for how much vertical space sits between each interaction answer as well as the 'stacked' option which places the options out horizontally across the page.
- Convert the interaction to another type. If you've initially created a dropdown menu interaction but want to change it to a radio button interaction, this can be done using the 'Convert to' dropdown menu in the interaction's settings panel. You can change the interaction between any of the three multi-choice interaction styles - dropdown menu, radio button or checkbox.
- Add an interaction label. In this space, you can type a question or heading text for the interaction. You can also opt to make this text hidden to users by selecting the appropriate radio button. If shown, this text will appear above your interaction options.
- Add correct and incorrect options. You can add options in the associated spaces in the interaction settings panel. By default, there is one correct and one incorrect option but more can be added by choosing 'Add option'. You can toggle the green tick (correct) or red cross (incorrect) beside each option by clicking on that icon. You can also use images, instead of text, by clicking on the image icon to the left of each option.
When you're finished with your interaction settings, choose the 'OK' option. Your changes will be displayed on the page.