Creating a drag and drop interaction
Creating the interaction
When authoring a module, you can create a number of different interaction types. To create an interaction, make sure the 'Add' tab has been selected from the tools menu, at the top of your module page, then choose the interaction type you'd like to create from the 'Interaction' dropdown menu. The interaction will appear on the page, ready for you to change the question, add options and change the formatting.
Moving and resizing the interaction
A drag and drop interaction's answer box and its options can be moved and sized separately.
To move your interaction answer box or any one of the options and position it on screen, click and hold down your mouse in the centre of the answer box or option, then drag the interaction and place it where you'd like it to sit on the page. To the top-left of the answer box or option, you will see its X and Y coordinates and its size in pixels.
To resize your interaction answer box or any one of the options, click and hold, then drag using your mouse on any of the small squares (circles for the options) found at the edges of the box or option. These squares (or circles) are found at the top, bottom, left and right of the box or option as well as at each of its four corners. You can see what size your answer box or option is by the numbers beside the coordinates at the top-left of the box or option itself.
One important thing to consider here is that you want the size of your answer box to be large enough (with a little extra space) to hold the maximum number of options you set in the interaction settings as described below.
Changing the question, adding options and points
To change your interaction's question, options or points, double-click on the centre of the interaction answer box to bring up its settings panel. When the settings are displayed, you can change several aspects of the interaction.
- The number of points a user can gain for this interaction. To change the number of points the interaction is worth, type a number into the appropriate space. Generally, users will be able to gain one point for each correct answer in the interaction.
- The maximum number of options that can be dragged into the interaction answer box. To change, type a number into the appropriate space. Generally, this number will be equal to the number of correct options for the interaction.
- Where the feedback icon sits. You have an option to display a feedback icon (a green tick for a correct answer and a red cross for an incorrect answer) either for each option or just one overall feedback icon for the interaction. Choose the 'Drags' radio button for one icon per answer or the 'Target' radio button for one overall icon.
- Add an interaction label. In this space, you can type a question or heading text for the interaction. You can also opt to make this text hidden to users by selecting the appropriate radio button. If shown, this text will appear above your interaction options.
- Add correct and incorrect options. You can add options in the associated spaces in the interaction settings panel. By default, there is one correct and one incorrect option but more can be added by choosing 'Add option'. You can toggle the green tick (correct) or red cross (incorrect) beside each option by clicking on that icon. You can also use images, instead of text, by clicking on the image icon to the left of each option.
When you're finished with your interaction settings, choose the 'OK' option. Your changes will be displayed on the page.