Creating a highlighter interaction
Creating the interaction
When authoring a module, you can create a number of different interaction types. To create an interaction, make sure the 'Add' tab has been selected from the tools menu, at the top of your module page, then choose the interaction type you'd like to create from the 'Interaction' dropdown menu. The interaction will appear on the page, ready for you to change the question, add options and change the formatting.
Moving and resizing the interaction
To move your interaction and position it on screen, click and hold down your mouse in the centre of the interaction box, then drag the interaction and place it where you'd like it to sit on the page. To the top-left of the interaction, you will see the X and Y coordinates of the interaction and the size of the interaction box in pixels.
To resize your interaction, click and hold, then drag using your mouse on any of the small squares found at the edges of the box. These squares are found at the top, bottom, left and right of the box as well as at each of its four corners. You can see what size your interaction box is by the numbers beside the coordinates at the top-left of the box itself.
Changing the question, adding options and points
To change your interaction's question, options or points, double-click on the centre of the box to bring up its settings panel. When the settings are displayed, you can change several aspects of the interaction.
- The number of points a user can gain for this interaction. To change the number of points the interaction is worth, type a number into the appropriate space. Generally, users can gain one point for each correct answer of a highlighter interaction, i.e. one point for each correctly highlighted word or image.
- The different highlighter colours you want to use. By default, all four possible highlighter colours are selected. To deselect any of these colours, click the checkbox to the left of the colour. Most of the time, you'll only want to use one colour for the interaction.
- Whether you want your users to highlight whole words or individual letters. Select the appropriate radio button to determine the option you prefer. If 'Words' is selected, users will highlight an entire word by clicking anywhere on that word. If 'Letters' is selected, users will highlight one letter at a time.
- Build your highlighter interaction. There are several steps to building your highlighter interaction:
- In the left-hand space, type the text you want to make up the interaction and/or use the 'Image' button to add images to the interaction.
- Make sure you have checked the highlighter colour(s) you want to use and unchecked those you don't want to use.
- Click the 'Master' button, near the centre of the settings panel. This will move what you've done in the two steps above to the right-hand space.
- In the right-hand space, choose the desired highlighter colour and click each element - word, letter or image - that you want users to highlight in the interaction.
When you're finished with your interaction settings, choose the 'OK' option. Your changes will be displayed on the page.